Thursday, May 16, 2013

The A C and Fuel Management Dilemma Part I









I settled on a new air cleaner after much of internal debate - Joker Machine (http://www.jokermachine.com/itemstreet2004.asp?ItemID=615&CategoryID=6&Placeholder=0). Not really an original thought and seems to be pretty standard issue on Sportsters, but its well-made, small and I like the anodized silver finish. If I hate it after I put it on there, then you might see it on eBay next week.









The bigger problem was deciding what to do about fuel management. I decided not to go the route of the Power Commander, FuelPak etc. because I didnt want to have to have another thing installed on the bike - more wires to hide, box to hide, etc. That pretty much left the HD tuner boxes that reprogram the ECM. I bought the HD Street Performance Tuner (http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448775874&default=none). This thing just provides the dealer a way to download new maps from the MoCo. Apparently MoCo is doing away with the Stage 1 ECM map downloads with all new models, and now the only way to do that is with this thing. It doesnt allow me (or a third party tuner) to make any adjustments.





What I thought I was buying was the HD Super Tuner, which does allow the end user to make adjustments.



Of course I couldnt return mine because I opened the box and these things are not returnable if the box has been tampered with. These modules are married to the machine - once they have been linked to a certain bike, they cannot be transferred. So be wary if buying either of these on eBay.



Since I dont plan on doing anything to the motor, Im sure itll run "good enough" with whatever factory map for higher air flow and exhaust I get from the MoCo. I just need it to run a little less hot and lean is all. Im going to dyno it after the reprogram so Ill post the results when I get them...




UPDATE 8/12/2011: So the Street Performance Tuner is crap, and that is basically a direct quote from the tuner whose shop I am sitting in now. Classics such as, "eBay it," and "return this thing," were some other comments I received from the staff at Battley Cycles. Do yourself a favor and avoid buying this. If you are compelled to buy something from the MoCo, then get the Race Tuner. But really the best thing to do is buy whatever the person tuning your bike likes to work with. Bottom line.