Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Fuel Bottle Holster Farkle

Nice, safe, and secure way to carry your camp fuel on the exterior of your panniers
Given the greater necessity for me to tote camp fuel rather than premium unleaded fuel, I decided to devote a chunk of exterior pannier real estate for that very purpose.  It probably wouldnt happen if I were to just stash my fuel bottles in the pannier itself, but I have zero interest in leaking white gas on any of my stuff. This bottle holster (http://wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=254) seemed like a good solution and I thought it should mount up easy with a few little metal handles and rubber sealing washers from the hardware store.  However, after a fruitless trip to Home Depot, I decided to just take the easy way out and buy the accessory pannier mounting kit, also available from Wolfman (http://wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm/product/258/hard-case-holster-attachment-kit.cfm).  It probably ended up costing me a few bucks more than finding the parts elsewhere, but it definitely made my life easier. 

The mounting kit is actually surprisingly better and more complete than I had anticipated and it comes with a handy paper template for drilling your holes.  This is nothing more than a piece of paper with some markings on it, but it does simplify and speed up the mounting process.  After you select a spot, its all very straightforward and you will need only a drill, and either two drill bits or a center punch if you are running aluminum panniers.   I chose to mount mine on the non-exhaust side to minimize the risk of melting the dangly mounting straps.


The holster is solidly built, and will hold a 1000 mL bottle easily and securely.  Durability does not look like it should be an issue here.
Solid metal cleats and rubber washers ensure waterproofness
The foam pad cushions between the bottle and case. Not sure if thats really needed but thats what the instructions say to do