Thursday, May 16, 2013

Fender Strip and Turn Signal Modification

I stripped the rear fender down to bare metal today. It was done the same way I did the tank - with a wire paint stripping thing (Norton RapidStrip wire deal at http://www.nortonconsumer.com/Discs-RapidStrip.aspx), a drill, and a lot of care not to gouge the crap out of the metal. Then I hit it with an orbital sander. After that I roughed it up a bit by hand with some medium grit emery cloth. Finally, oil it up with some Gibbs Brand Penetrant, and it should be good to go.

Safety first! Wear your respirator and eye protection.

Basically done with the stripping. I left some paint on the
trailing edges for messiness sake.


All matched up now.

I also decided to ditch the fender strut covers while I was back there. I dont really care for them. And then I thought I would remove the long, goofy stalks that make the turn signals stick out super far. It was an easy little mod that makes a big difference I think. Just get a shorter bolt and thats pretty much all there is to it.

Get a shorter bolt, take off the stalk, and then you got
a low profile turn signal/tail lamp.

Tucks in there pretty good without the stalk.